Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Nothing is as it seems.

So I've found out recently that many of my friends occasionally smoke marijuana. I know it's not the end of the world. There are much worse things they could be doing but as a person that would never even consider touching the stuff I find myself feeling really judgmental and almost disgusted. I feel really kind of bad about that because marijuana is not that terrible. the main reason it's shunned is because it's illegal. They normally do it pretty responsibly, but I did find myself almost hitting one of my best friends because I found out he was high when he was driving. I didn't let him keep driving and made someone else drive. Some of them I wasn't to surprised when I found out they smoked but the other day I learned of one person doing it that seriously bothered me. I lost a lot of respect for that person and I feel bad that I did because I'm sure it was just curiosity, but this person is almost like a younger sibling to me and I very rarely get mad but I felt something unpleasant churning in my stomach. It is comforting to know that I have friends like Rake, and Tad that I know will never give in to their curiosity though it is slightly disconcerting because I considered some of my other friends to be in that category as well. They know I'm not happy about it but I don't know what to do about it. They're all smart kids and as long as they don't do anything stupid I logically don't have a problem with it. I wish that my logical side would just agree with my emotional side for a change.

1 comment:

plug said...

Your logic tells you that, while this particular behavior may not be all that terrible compared to other more terrible things, it is still something that raises the likelihood of other more problematic events. Not a sure thing, but the risk is greater. And, you care about them, so you don't want bad things happening to them. Makes sense to me.