Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A few thoughts.

I saw an Anti- War protest the other day and it got me thinking. What does an Anti-War protest achieve? Perhaps a protest of a specific war may prove to be of some affect but a protest of war in general I find relatively pointless. Nobody is really for war in general. Most people don’t wake up each morning thinking, “Man, I wish our country had somebody to kill.” If someone drives by a young woman holding a sign that says, “Say no to war!” they will not be motivated to do anything, in fact they will probably soon forget about it. On the other hand if someone drives by a young woman holding a sign that says, “KILL, KILL, KILL,” or “Bomb the world to pieces!” they won’t forget that, they may even be outraged, and outrage is a good motivator. During the potato famine in Ireland a progressive thinker named Jonathan Swift wrote down a radical solution called, "A Modest Proposal." His idea was that the people of Ireland could solve their problems of surplus population and lack of food by eating their babies. This idea drew huge amounts of attention and upset a lot of people, exactly what it was designed to do. The people of the world suddenly paid a lot more attention to the troubles of Ireland and real ideas began to be concocted.

We are not the only species on earth that commit acts of war and genocide. In actuality all communal species have wars. Whether over territory or food or water, lions, monkeys, wolves, ants, and termites all wage war on each other sometimes even eradicating or enslaving the other colony or species. War is natural, and it hasn’t always been considered bad either. In ancient Sparta to die in battle was the greatest honor one could have. A fallen solder would not be mourned over but celebrated.

With medical advances and new technologies the human quest to prolong life continues. Homo sapiens have no natural predators. War, Disease, Famine, these are our predators. As much as we must fight them we must realize that without them the human race would have died of over population long ago. How can we work so hard to prolong our lives when the quality of so many lives is so little? Is a long life so great if it meant so little?

Fear of death is a human instinct, and if anything makes us civilized it is the ability to overcome primal instincts. Traits that humans value most are all the overcoming of instinct: Courage (overcoming fear), Logic (overcoming impulse), and Selflessness (overcoming greed).

I’m still against war and I still think we should fight AIDS, but I also think we should keep these ideas in the back of our minds because sometime the evil you seek to destroy is the very thing that is keeping you alive.

8 comments:

Rake said...

Um. So, did you run over the people lying in the street, just to make a statement and get people talking???

Palindrome said...

no! of course not! Maura was there, I could never hurt her plus I can't drive. otherwise, totally would have.

Rake said...

Yeah uh-huh. I don't think you have the guts. And you know what else: I was talking to my mom about this post and she said the whole thing you're describing about doing something drastic to get people's attention is TERRORISM. Yep, that's right. Terrorism my friend.


And I just have one question, do you like Maura? Cuz I've heard stories...

Palindrome said...

Do I like Maura? In what way? I mean I love Maura, but she's also one of those people that I've known for such a long time that I still think of them as the age I met them. If I met her today yes I probably would "like" her but as of now, I don't consider myself a suitor more of a big brother, maybe a slightly creepy big brother but my intentions are elsewhere, though she is a gorgeous and charming girl and I would probably marry her just to be part of her adorable family. does that answer your question?

Palindrome said...

Wait! what are these "stories"?? I haven't been part of any stories! Pretty much everyone I know has thoughts less civil than mine about Maura but I am a civilized and noble person I would never do anything that world be a good "stories"!!!! Explain yourself oh foul temptress of words!!!!

Rake said...

Okay I get it. You don't have romantic feelings for her but you would MARRY her. Yep, that makes sense.

You still have terrorist theories!!

Robert Kahn said...

The simple fact is that terrorism often works. In that respect Renner is right.

War is essentially unavoidable in human interactions. The true objective of protesters, and indeed of generals and politicians, should be to avoid the unnecessary or overly costly wars.

Sun Tzu, the true master of war, has two things to say about this - 1) "There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare."
2) "The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities... It is best to win without fighting."

We would be wise to listen to him.

The objective of war is always to win, as fast and cheaply - both in human lives and actual capital - as possible.

Therefore, protracted warfare is irresponsible. Napoleon and Hitler in Russia, Japan in China, the Greeks and Romans in Judea, the British in... everywhere, and arguably us in Vietnam and Iraq. None of wars were beneficial to either side.

All human conflicts should be engaged in in the manner that is least costly to the populace involved. If that manner is terrorism - it rarely is - then so be it.

Robert Kahn said...

This is not a case of us overcoming our instincts. We cannot, as far as I've seen, overcome our instincts, we ARE our instincts. This is simply a question of how we best satiate our instincts.